With Valentines Day just around the corner, let’s get a design professional’s opinion on creating a more sexy and alluring bedroom retreat. Simple design changes can spice up the drama in your life… even if you’re single.
- Resist the urge to over pillow. For a 2 person bed you need at most 2 euro shams and 4 sleeping pillows, after-all who wants to compete with a pillow!
- Curtains are key. Black out curtains are a must in the bedroom so you can stay in bed as long as you want, ah hello… softly lit makes the day melt into night.
- Invest in bedding. Good bedding. If the goal is to spend a lot of time in bed, or you have minimal time to enjoy a luxurious bed, it only makes sense to outfit said bed with the most fabulous bed linens. My personal picks are the Italians!..Frette, Anachini, Pratesi, Muse bespoke.
- Pick colors you love and look great in! Go with your favorite fashion colors because you should look amazing in the bedroom. I personally use my client’s eye color as a springboard, for example, slate blues with white make for a soothing and very sexy environment.
- Go easy on the patterns… remember serenity is romantic. Keep fabrics simple and luxe… people should be the ones adding the pattern and texture to the bedroom.
- Opt for carpet for anything but a beach house-where wood floors are fine – you should consider wall to wall carpeting in the master bedroom, my choice is Fabrica carpets as they have a cloud like density, and a feeling of silken luxury beneath your feet.
- Take a chance on drapes. I love the elegance of a whole wall of drapery ceiling to floor..especially if they billow like a romance novel.
- Consider wallpaper. A wallpaper with depth and dimension can add color and spice to the bedroom. Personally, I love Maya Romanoff weathered walls, in a deep burgundy or rust tone.
- Make it comfortable. A pair of cozy chairs or a soft chaise for reading and lounging are a must.
- Unplug. The bedroom should be a soothing place. Say no to cellphones, PDA’s, TV’s computers. Say yes to romance! The focus is on you and your intended one.
Happy Valentines Day. (Don’t forget to love yourself!)